Second Quarter Exam Review
Write the correct literary term for each definition.
1. _________________ A series of related events (what happens in the story).
2. _________________ The time and place of the story.
The relationship between the narrator and the story (who is telling the
4. _________________ A reference to a famous person, place, event, or work of literature.
5. __________________ The
main idea or authorís opinion about life expressed in a piece of
6. __________________ A person,
animal, or imaginary creature that takes part in the action of a
7. __________________ A logical guess or conclusion based on facts.
8. __________________ A contrast
between what is expected and what actually happens or exists.
Match the part of the plot to the events of "Flowers for Algernon.Ē
A. Exposition B. Complication C. Climax D. Resolution
9. _____ After Charlie becomes
incredibly intelligent, Algernon loses his intelligence. Charlie
uses his intelligence to figure out if he can avoid losing his intelligence.
10. _____ A mentally handicapped man, Charlie Gordon, wants to be smart.
11. _____ Charlie returns to being mentally handicapped.
12. _____ Charlie has an operation
to become smarter, but he does not see positive results
Correctly identify the eight parts of speech.
13. ______________ - relates its object to another word.
14. ______________ - modifies a verb, adjective, or other adverb
15. ______________ - modifies a noun or pronoun.
16. ______________ -replaces a noun or other pronouns.
17. ______________ - connects words or groups of words.
18. ______________ - names a person, place, thing, or idea.
19. ______________ - expresses strong feelings or emotion.
20. ______________ - .expresses action or links the subject to the predicate.
Write the correct answers on the blanks.
21. What questions do adjectives
_______________ _________________ ____________________
22. What questions do adverbs
___________ ___________ ___________ ___________ __________
Correctly identify each underlined word as a noun, pronoun, verb, adjective, adverb, interjection, conjunction, or preposition.
Mature students can handle the responsibility of behaving appropriately when theirregular teacher is
absent. They understand that a substitute teacher has a difficult job, and they do their best to assure
that learning occurs. These students know that their extremely talented regular teacher will treat
them well when he returns from his meeting.
Write a sentence for each item using the word correctly.
itís - _____________________________________________________________________
their - _____________________________________________________________________
there - ____________________________________________________________________
Write a sentence with each of the listed items.
two adjectives - _____________________________________________________________
one adverb - _______________________________________________________________
adverb phrase - _____________________________________________________________
adjective phrase - ___________________________________________________________
interjection - _______________________________________________________________
Review conjugation of verbs in nine tenses. You will not be required to conjugate the verb completely. You will be asked to find mistakes in a conjugation that is already completed.
The following multiple-choice exercises in your Writer's Craft book will complete your review:
463 B, #16-20 464 C, #26-35 501 C, #26-30 501 D, #36-40
530 C, #31-35
532 C, #44-50
588 C, #31-35